Thoughts and photos as Phileta and Dorothy enjoy a new life of cruising the Pacific aboard the Cal 35 MK III, Eagle.


Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Trip to Sayulita


Here are some pictures of our trip over the hill to a little beach town north west of us. It is not on Banderas Bay and is known for it's surfing and incredible burritos at the Burrito Revolution (worth the trip!). First (hopefully) picture is of the incredible birds' nest that is in the tree at the corner where the next picture is taken of the view as we walk out of the marina and look down the road (don't know if you can tell the street is cobblestone) to one of our favorite taco stands. When we arrive they look at Phileta and say "Dos tacos asada y limonada?" I keep changing my order because there are choices.













Next is the plaza which is brightly painted. These pictures were taken the week of the festival for the patron saint of La Cruz. Every town has a patron saint and a festival honoring that saint. Funny how the only saint honored in the US is St. Patrick and that involves drinking green beer, no prosessions of the cross down the street. Oops, forgot St. Valentine, but is that one real or just one of those Hallmark occasions?

Nancy, Jeff, Adam from s/v Oblivion, and Phileta as we wait for the bus in the cool shade of an overpass. One just waits on the road and flags down the bus that is going in the right direction.


Nancy had taken a surfing lesson here and highly recommended it and having grown up in southern California and only tried surfing once, I just had to give it a shot. I was great entertainment for Phileta as she sat in her beach chair in the shade of an umbrella drinking her "limonada".

A nice lady from Portland, OR was the owner of the surf lesson shop and gave me my dry land instructions. Then I was handed off to a nice young local man. I was to have an hour lesson. I don't know how long it lasted, but I finally cried "uncle" when I became exhausted from all that paddling back out to the "surf".
I never did get up on my feet while the board was in the water, but I was great on my knees.




That's it for now, more to come as we have been busy sight seeing since we made our decision to sail on up to Puerto Escondido where Phileta will fly out of Loreto for niece Katee's wedding and Capt. Josie and I will experiment on ways to stay cool and keep an eye on the boat.

Love to you all,

D & P

1 comment:

Followers